Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I Never Thought I'd See This

I hope you all had a great Valentines Day, for those of you that might of eaten a little to much candy I want you to keep in mind that a balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.  Jan and I had a quite Valentines Day with lunch at our local diner Brenda's Cafe and as usual it was GREAT!

I always look forward to my meeting day, not just for my weigh-in but for my meeting too.  It gives me the opportunity to learn and to share, Meetings = Success.  So week #11 looks like this:  I was down 3.4 pounds for a total of 25.6 pounds.  What worked for me this week, planning ahead.  There were several times last week that I knew my choices were not going to be the best for me so I brought fruit and Veggie Straws with me  so there was no bad choices made.  Activity was also good for me this week as I went to the gym 4 times and increased my running distance and pace.  I Volunteered 1 day with Horses of Hope and got plenty of walking in and then on Saturday we went to the zoo and walked for about 2 hours.
 
I Never Thought I'd See This

When we got to the zoo Jan said lets go the opposite way we usually go, I asked her why and she said I just feel like we should go that way this time, so needless to say, we went her way.  One of the first animal enclosures that we came to was the giraffes and while we were looking at them one of the zoo volunteers says that the giraffe out in the middle of the enclosure is in the process of giving birth.  Once we were able to zero in on that one we could see that there were legs hanging out from behind and was told that they give birth standing up and the baby just drops on the ground from about 6 feet up.  About 15 minutes we could see the baby completely slide out and hit the ground with a loud thud and splash and just lay there, I thought the baby was dead as there was no movement at all for several minutes and then all of a sudden an ear twitched while mommy was doing clean-up and then more and more movement until the baby was sitting and then standing up.  What we found to be unusual was that the other giraffe mommies all came over to help clean the baby up.

The circle of life, Sunday the mommy giraffe died from heart failure and other complications.  Baby is doing well and is being bottle fed.

You can see the newborn Giraffe sitting on the ground, 10 minutes after it was born.

Within thirty minutes the baby was standing.

One of my favorite things at the zoo is the elephants so after the giraffes and all that excitement we hoofed it over to the elephants just to see that they weren't outside.  Needless to say I was a bit disappointed but I was able to get a picture with an elephant statue ( they're always outside).  It was a little cold, only 32 degrees, but a great day at the zoo.

Burrrrrrr!
 



A little thought about exercise......................
I signed up for an exercise class
and was told to wear loose fitting clothing. 
If I had any loose fitting clothing,
I wouldn't of signed up in the first place.

I love the food find this week, as some of you know there are two things that I really enjoy, chocolate and cereal, so whats better than the NEW Cap n Crunch Chocolatey Crunch, YUM!

 
 Hard to read, 3/4 cup, fat 1g, carbs 23g, fiber 1g, protein 1g
 

I have been eating more shrimp than usual lately and this recipe was right up my ally, enjoy.

Coconut Shrimp


Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 3 shrimp, 1 tbsp sauce Fat: 3.5 g - Protein: 10 g - Carb: 14 g - Fiber: 4 g  

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb (24) large raw shrimp, peeled and deviened (weight after peeled)
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp panko crumbs
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour 
  • 1 large egg
  • pinch salt
  • non-stick spray

For the Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce:

  • 1/2 cup sugar free apricot preserves
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes


Directions:

Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.

Combine coconut flakes, panko crumbs and salt in a bowl. Place the flour on a small dish. Whisk egg in another bowl.

Lightly season shrimp with salt. Dip the shrimp in the flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then in the coconut crumb mixture.

Lay shrimp on the cookie sheet then spray the top of the shrimp with more cooking spray; bake in the middle rack for about 10 minutes. Turn shrimp over then cook another 6-7 minutes or until cooked though. Remove from oven and serve with dipping sauce.

For the sauce, combine all the ingredients and place in a small bowl.
If you received this post by email subscription and you want to see previous posts click on Choosing to be healthy at the top of this post or go to http://choosingtobehealthynow.blogspot.com

If you want to receive my post automatically each week, make sure you sign up at the bottom of this post.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment