Tuesday, January 15, 2013

How Did I Get Here - Part 3

Life after Lifetime
 
Well I lost those 76.2 pounds and achieved my lifetime goal with Weight Watchers, I continued going to meetings and expressed a desire to become a Weight Watchers Leader as I had a sincere desire to give something back.  I was told that in order to become a leader I would first have to be a receptionist so I applied and I called, and called, and called. Finally I was invited to a meeting to discuss the receptionists training.  I think they got tired of my phone calls, hence the invite.  I completed my training and was assigned various meetings to work.  What a great feeling working with other lifetime members and interfacing with members working on there goal. After a few months I figured it was time to question when I could become a leader, and was told that there was no leader training scheduled and to just keep checking in.  So I did, month after month, guess what, finally leader training and an invite to attend.  It goes to show if you want something bad enough, don't give up, the squeaky wheel will finally get greased.  I completed leader training, and was assigned a few meetings, one at a center and two at-work meetings.  Before long I was facilitating twelve to thirteen meetings.  I couldn't get enough, helping members conquer what I had accomplished, and helping to change lives.  A year later I inquired as to becoming a career leader (full time leader) and was told that they would gladly welcome me to that position.  I was truly moved, as there were only two other career leaders out of the entire staff.
 
A few of the accomplishments that I achieved during my nine year career with Weight Watchers are:
  • Led nearly 8,000 meetings
  • Led 23 meetings a week for a while
  • Over 300 members achieved their lifetime goal
  • Members lost over 250,000 pounds

As I mentioned before, I couldn't get enough, or do enough, and I loved challenges from members.  I want to share one specific challenge will you.  Most of you know that my form of recreation was riding and showing my horses, however at one of my meetings a member, Nouri, challenged me to train and run the Rock and Roll Half Marathon with her, not knowing how to get out of it gracefully I told her I would let her know the next week after I discussed it with my wife.  Now the object of that was to tell her that she didn't think it was a good idea, but when I mentioned it to my wife she said "what a great idea, I will be standing at the finish line waiting for you."  So the next week I had no choice but to tell Nouri that I would do it.  I went from the couch to the half marathon in 16 weeks.  I wanted to do it right so Nouri referred me to a master shoe fitter for my shoes.  I joined her running organization (Rockin Runners).  I listened to the coach (Cynthia) enthusiastically and did everything I was told to do.  I remember crossing the finish line putting the medal around my neck, my wife giving me a hug and telling me how proud she was of me and that feeling of accomplishment that came over me.  It reminded me of how I felt when I reached my lifetime goal--I can accomplish anything I set out to do, nothing is impossible.  In both cases I did it right by having the right tools and following instructions, and doing everything I was told to do.  By the way I enjoy running and have ran several half marathons since, thank you Nouri.

I retired from Weight Watchers on March 31, 2012 and my next post will be, Life after Retirement.  In a few weeks we will be current with How Did I get Here and at that time I will start sharing some of my favorite foods and recipes with you.

Just keep telling yourself the following:

  • I can achieve my goal
  • I will achieve my goal
  • I deserve to achieve my goal

If you received this post by email subscription and you want to see previous posts click on Choosing to be healthy at the top of this post or go to http://choosingtobehealthynow.blogspot.com

If you want to receive my post automatically each week, make sure you sign up at the bottom of this post.




 
Enjoying lifetime on a cruise
 
Enjoying lifetime on my horse
 
 
Enjoying lifetime running
 
Enjoying lifetime on a zipline
 
Two belts, the one on the outside was my belt when I started Weight Watchers, the one on the inside is my belt when I reached my lifetime goal, 9 inches smaller

No comments:

Post a Comment