Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Color me Rad

What's going on with the sport, Running?  What is one of the first things you think of when you here running? a 5k, and then maybe a 10k or Half Marathon, or Marathon.  I started running in August 2010 when I went from the couch to a half marathon and that's when I first heard of an ultra marathon.  Today promoters of runs have gone a little crazy coming up with something new, how about these: the Santa Claus run, color run, girls night-out run, bubble run, glow run, mud run, sucker run and many more.  However not to be left out of the craziness, Jan and I did a 5k last Saturday called the "Color Me Rad Run" in the rain and 50 degrees.  We had a great time and did it with friends, Mycah and Doug from Horses of Hope.  It wasn't a timed run so I walked with Jan for the first 5 minutes and then ran the rest.  Throughout the run we were pummeled with  colored powder, sounds nuts, but we had a good time.  Before the run I was challenged to put a temporary tattoo across my forehead, big black letters RAD, the problem was getting it off and I had to use scotch tape to pull it off, it worked but it wasn't very gentle.  We still have an issue with the colored powder showing up everywhere, did I say we had fun.
Before the run, nice and white

End of the run, a little bit of color!

Almost there, at weigh in today I lost 1.6 for a total of 40.4 and I'm only .8 away from my new goal, Jan had a great week and was down 1.4.  She really likes her ActiveLink and has been enjoying the challenge to earn activity points.  She even made me go on a walk with her last night so she could reach her activity points goal, I think I created a monster.

I read an article on 10 mind tricks to fool yourself into eating less and I thought I would share a few of them each week with you.
  1. Size Matters - Try downsizing your dinnerware, but keep your forks big and your glasses tall.  Studies show people eat less with smaller bowls and large forks, and drink less with tall, narrow glasses as opposed to short, wide ones.
  2. Let Food Color Pop - The bigger the difference between food color and plate color, the less likely you'll be to over-serve yourself.  Example: Serve Tomato soup in a white bowl, you're more likely to dish too much if it's in a red one.
Keep the following in mind:

The Secret of Getting ahead.......
......is Getting Started
 
I leave for Chicago on Friday morning as Weight Watchers is sending me there to attend their Basic Leadership Skills training.  There has been  some discussion on whether I need to attend or not but New York said yes I need to attend.  I have made up my mind that I will go with a positive attitude, learn something new and bring back some new ideas to share with the members.
 
The other night I looked down at my dinner plate and just had to take a picture of it, it has this weeks food find on it with broccoli, carrots, green beans, onions, mushrooms and cabbage, I also had a nice green salad, it was delicious!
 
 
Craving Veggies!
 
I've really enjoyed this weeks food find, it's been a great alternative to Captain D's (a local fish place).
 
 
This weeks recipe is for healthy cookies, enjoy. 
 
Healthy Cookies
 
Servings: 8 • Size: 2 cookies • Calories: 93 • Fat: 3.5 g • Carb: 15 g • Fiber: 2 g • Protein: 2 g

Ingredients:
·        2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
·        1 cup of uncooked quick oats*
·        1/4 cup crushed walnuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray. 
Combine the mashed bananas and oats in a bowl. Fold in the walnuts and place a tablespoon of each on the cookie sheet.  Bake 15 minutes. Makes 16 cookies.
If you received this post by email subscription and you want to see previous posts click on Choosing to be healthy at the top of this post or go to http://choosingtobehealthynow.blogspot.com

If you want to receive my post automatically each week, make sure you sign up at the top right of this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment