Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Happy St. Patricks Day

Well I did what I was suppose to do this week, maintain no gain no loss, although I still would like to lose another two pounds.  I'm surprised I didn't gain this week as I ate at Captain D's twice this week and also had Chinese food twice this week.  On that note lets talk about eating out as that can be a real problem for some.  What did I do this week not to go crazy at the restaurants, I went prepared, I knew what I was going to order and what the points were, I even pre-tracked before I ate the food.  Here are a few ways to look ahead:
  • Look in the WW Eat Out Guide
  • Check out the restaurants in E-Tools
  • Go online at the restaurants website
  • WW Website, search cheat sheets
What if you can't prepare ahead and your at a restaurant, what menu items should I stay away from, ones where the descriptions include these words:
  • Fried
  • Dipped
  • Creamy
  • Au gratin
  • Battered
  • Crispy
Don't be afraid to ask how something is cooked or cooked in, I order most things on the side and then put it on or in my food so I can control how much is there, specially sauces as restaurants usually will cover your plate if a sauce comes on the item.  Remember to order the way you want your food to come, you are the customer and in the long run they want to please you.  However, if it doesn't come the way you ordered it, ask them to take it back and again remember you are the customer!

Many people have said to me I hate going to restaurants as I don't know what the value of the food is, so take a picture with your cell phone or the WW Snap & Track feature and calculate your points later.  Another one I hear is the portions are so big and since its on my plate I just eat everything on it, ask for a to go box and pack up half of your food right away, get it off your plate.  Out of sight, out of mind and it will save you money by getting two meals instead of one.

Now what do we do about dessert?  Plan ahead for it if you want dessert, have the points available so you can have it and enjoy!  When I don't want dessert or don't have points available for it, I tell myself I sure would like that but I'll have it tomorrow when I have the points, that way I get past the moment and on to tomorrow.  Sometimes you get a server who just keeps telling you how wonderful a particular dessert is, I tell them I'm allergic to it, I break out in FAT, it usually gets a good laugh and then we just move on.

Remember there is nothing that you can't have, just plan ahead and enjoy!

Jan joined Weight Watchers today, ready to go and motivated to get back to her lifetime goal, I am so proud of her.

I did something this week that I never thought I would be doing, helping load hogs for someone that was taking them to slaughter.  At least it was a good hour workout and we will be getting a ham out of it.
Please don't take me out of the mud, I'm comfy here!

Working on getting them up the ramp.

Finally, these little piggy's went to the market!

Went to the zoo again this week, great exercise and both of my favorite areas were open and the animals were out.  Starting in March the Giraffe feeding area is open and you can feed them the rye crisps that you can buy.
 
This big guy was waiting patiently for the rye crisps.

Feed me, feed me, stop teasing me!

I had to see the elephants.

The food find for the week is a salad dressing, I used to cover my salad with dressing and now I put it on the side and dip my fork in it.  However, this salad dressing will let you cover your salad with very few points, Maple Grove Farms, I bought it at Walmart. 

In honor of St. Patricks day here is the recipe for the week.
 
Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage

Servings: 6 • Size: 3 oz brisket + veggies • Calories: 295 • Fat: 17 g • Protein: 18 g • Carb: 19 g • Fiber: 5.5 g

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs lean corned beef brisket, all fat trimmed off
  • 1 cup frozen pearl onions
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/8 tsp whole peppercorns
Directions:
In a 5-6 qt crock pot, place brisket, carrots, parsnips, pearl onions, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns and 3 cups of water. Cover and cook on high 4 hours.

Add cabbage, cook on high 1 hour 20 minutes more. Remove meat, slice and serve.

If you received this post by email subscription and you want to see previous posts click on Choosing to be healthy at the top of this post or go to http://choosingtobehealthynow.blogspot.com

If you want to receive my post automatically each week, make sure you sign up at the top right of this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment