Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Weekend

I apologize for the delay in this post but I got a new computer with Windows 8 need I say anymore!

Memorial Day brings us a three day weekend and when we have those, we tend to do something special for the long weekend.  Not us, we crammed everything into one day, Monday, The first thing I did was mow the back yard and with all of the rain we have been getting I have to mow every week or we have a jungle.  Personally I'm ok with a jungle but Jan's not and even Abby doesn't like the tall grass in the back yard.  After mowing the backyard we went to a horse show, not that we were participating but we had friends showing and Horses of Hope was there with one of there horses and some riders.  Our friends primarily show there horses in halter (not riding them) and driving which is the horse pulling them in a cart or wagon, they usually take first place in most of the classes they enter.  With Horses of Hope being at the show they asked my friend Bob if he would ride their horse in an Adult Walk Trot class and he said he would, now keep in mind that Bob is eighty years old and hasn't ridden a horse in awhile.  WOW he took first place, what a great job both he and the horse Blaze did, by the way, Blaze is usually the horse I work with on my volunteer days at Horses of Hope, and Bob is my buddy that I do woodworking projects with, that's why we call our business Bobingalong.
My friend Bob riding Blaze

That's me just hanging around at the horse show

We closed out the busy day by going over to my brothers after the show for a barbecue and games, we had hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwurst, peppers & onions, chips and Jan's Chinese coleslaw, and for dessert we had ice cream sundaes.  Everything tasted great, I liked the ice cream sundae best, and then we played Dominoes  a game called chicken foot.  Everyone had a great time and it was nice to be with family and friends....my friend Bob won the game...
Our barbecue meal.  From left to right, my brother Paul & his wife Terry, nephew Jared & his friend Shayla and our friends Holly & Bob,

What a week, I've been sharing with you what countries the readers of my blog are from and this week has really been incredible, we have new readers this week from Mexico, Pakistan, Malaysia, Azerbaijan, Spain, Ukraine and Switzerland.  It is so nice to have you all aboard and thanks for the comments, it sounds like you're enjoying the recipes.

Weigh in this week was what I was looking for, up ,4 pounds, finally have leveled off and now know how much I need to eat to maintain my weight.  I even had a Snickers Blizzard from Dairy Queen this week, it was a mini but was plenty and I really enjoyed it.  Maintenance is not such an easy thing, although it is just another chapter in our weight loss journey, I believe the hardest part is to realize that you can eat that much more food as the brain keeps saying no, no, no, you really shouldn't have that.  Trust me you can, so go ahead and enjoy maintenance, I look forward to hearing from you as you work towards and achieve that goal.  Jan was up a little this week and is working hard at tracking for success.

 "I can't do it" has never accomplished anything;                             "I will try" has performed wonders.

Here is the last installment of 10 Mind Tricks to fool yourself into eating less.

9.  Use Your Illusion - Never underestimate the power of imagination.  A 2010 study reported that we actually eat less of a certain food  if we imagine eating it before we actually eat it.

10.  Piece of Mind - a 2012 study found that cutting food into smaller pieces can trick our brains into thinking we're eating more than we really are, so we eat less.  Cut sandwiches into four pieces, and break candy bars into bite-size chunks.

The food find this week is one of Jan's favorites, Skinny Cow Heavenly Crisp candy bar and is a great alternative to a high fat content candy bar.  We pick this up at Walmart.


The recipe this week is really different and tastes great, let me know what you think.

Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups Calories: 110 • Fat: 3.5 g • Protein: 3 g • Carb: 17.5 g •Fiber: 4 g
 
Ingredients:
·         1 tbsp unsalted butter
·         1 large white onion, chopped
·         3 cups low sodium fat-free vegetable broth
·         1 lb baby carrots, peeled
·         1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
·         1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
·         salt and white pepper to taste
·         2 tbsp fresh chives, for garnish
Directions:
In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.

Add sour cream, using an immersion blender, carefully blend until smooth. Bring soup back to a boil, adjust salt and pepper to your taste.

Ladle into 4 bowls and garnish with a little more sour cream if desired and fresh chives.

Makes 5 cups

If you received this post by email subscription and you want to see previous posts click on Choosing to be healthy at the top of this post or go to http://choosingtobehealthynow.blogspot.com


If you want to receive my post automatically each week, make sure you sign up at the top right of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment